Speed up your home sale by preparing your home ahead of time using the following tips:
- Confirm that the water, electrical and gas services are turned on.
- Make sure your pets won't hinder the home inspection. Ideally, they should be
removed from the premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at
- Replace all burned-out light bulbs.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace any dead batteries.
- Clean and/or replace dirty HVAC filters, and make sure they fit securely.
- Remove stored items such as wood and debris from around the foundation.
- Remove items that may be blocking access to HVAC equipment, electrical
panels, water heater, attic and crawlspace.
- Unlock any locked areas that the home inspector must access, such as the attic
door or hatch, electrical service panel, door to the basement and any exterior
- Trim tree limbs at least 10 feet away from the roof. Trim shrubs that are close to
- Repair/replace any broken or missing items such as door knobs, locks or latches,
window panes, screens, gutters or downspouts or chimney caps.
A Move In Certified™ Seller Inspection can help you and your seller close the sale.
Here are some of the benefits:
- The seller can assist the inspector during the inspection, something that is not
normally done during a buyers inspection.
- The seller and agent are alerted to any immediate safety issues discovered
before other agents and potential buyers tour the home. Any issues or repairs
can be resolved ahead of time, without rushing, which helps the home show
- The seller is given the opportunity to dispute, or clarify, any misstatements in the
report before it is generated for distribution.
- The inspection report helps the seller see their home through the eyes of an
unbiased third party, thus making them more realistic about the asking price.
- A Move In Certified™ inspection report can be used as a marketing tool to help
sell the home; both at Open House and Online, where it is hosted on a website
available to all potential buyers.
- Move In Certified™ signs attract potential buyers.
- A Move In Certified™ seller inspection helps eliminate buyer's remorse that
sometimes occurs just after a buyer's inspection.
- A Move In Certified™ seller inspection reduces the need for negotiations and 11th
- A Move In Certified™ seller inspection may encourage a buyer to waive his own
- Deals are less likely to fall apart the way they sometimes do when a buyers
inspection unexpectedly reveals problems at the last minutes.